arai keerai - 2 bunches
moong dal - 1/4 cup
coconut - 2 tbsp
sambar powder - 1 tsp
turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
onion - 1
tomato - 2
cumin seeds - 1 tsp
green chilli - 2 or 3
salt to taste
oil - 1 tbsp
mustard seed and urid dal for seasoning.
- Cook the moong dal in a pressure cooker with enough water and turmeric powder.(2 whistle sound and keep it in sim for 5 mins)
- Wash the keerai well 2 to 3 times to remove the sand and chop them finely with the stem.
- Chop the onions and tomato into small pieces.
- Grind the coconut, cumin seeds and green chilli with little water.
- Take a pressure cooker and add onions, tomatoes, keerai, coconut paste with 1 cup water and enough salt. Leave 2 whistle sounds and then switch the stove.
- Remove the weight when the pressure is gone, and finally add the cooked moong dal and mix it gently.
- Let it boil for 5 mins.
- Remove from fire and pour it into a serving bowl.
- Finally add tempered mustard seeds and urid dal.
- To make the kootu a little more tastier
- Take two tbsp of finely chopped onions in a frying pan with enough oil and fry them till it is dark brown and a nice aroma comes out.
- Add this as a finishing touch to the kootu.
- Arai Keerai Kootu is now ready. It tastes well with rice and as well with parathas too.